CHRIST CHURCH SEXTON
The Christ Church Sexton is the full-time, live-in caretaker of the parish’s buildings and grounds and is responsible for maintaining their functionality, security, cleanliness, and attractive appearance.
In caring for the facilities, the Sexton supports the staff and members of Christ Church and our parish ministries: worship, classes, fellowship and working committees; hospitality and service to the larger community as a venue for recitals, concerts, conferences, non-profit and 12-step group meetings and community events and rental tenants.
The successful candidate will be personable, presentable, efficient and responsible, with the ability to take direction, work collegially with others and interact positively with a variety of people including staff, parishioners, building inspectors, electricians, plumbers, and other service workers. Facilities maintenance experience is essential, with general handyperson and yard work skills (small repairs, painting, trimming and clipping, etc.) and the physical capacity to handle medium to heavy lifting.
We seek someone who will take pride in his/her/their work, in the appearance of our buildings, gardens, courtyard, surrounding sidewalks and planting strips, and in their support of the mission and ministry of this community of faith.
– Full-time, live-in position, 40 hours weekly, with flexibility according to church activities and needs.
– On-site 1,300 square foot two-bedroom apartment and utilities provided (water, heat, electricity), annual salary $14,000.00, vacation, holidays and sick days, opportunity to participate in benefits.
– Responsible for appearance and upkeep of buildings and grounds, including yard and garden maintenance, minor building repairs and maintenance including janitorial duties.
– Set up and take down of parish hall, meeting rooms, worship spaces according to event needs.
– Must be on campus and available during all parish and other on-site events.
– Morning clean-up walk of campus; nightly security walk of buildings (interiors and exteriors) and campus.
– Interact appropriately with persons sleeping on campus, drinking alcohol or using drugs or otherwise engaging in inappropriate behavior.
– Reports to and takes direction from the Parish Administrator.
The Episcopal Church’s Safeguarding God’s Children and Safeguarding God’s People Training is required and will be provided.
Intervention training for interacting with various persons using the campus inappropriately is required and will be provided.
A background check is required and will be conducted.
For a full Job Description, send a cover letter and resume to Parish Administrator Darlene Coleman:
by Friday, February 22, 2019.
No telephone calls please.